COST OF CLINIC – $79
Location: Brickyard Bay, Nanoose
- February 19, 10:00-15:00
- March 5, 10:00-15:00
- March 19 10:00-15:00
- May 13, 10:00-15:00
*June 1 – September 14 [contact me to determine availability]
This clinic will be 5 hours in duration including a lunch break. Alternate dates may be available with a minimum of 3 people and a maximum of 6.
If interested, complete the form below and I will contact you.
In this clinic you will learn to:
- Charts: latitude and longitude, waypoints, distance measurement, what the different colours mean,
what chart 1 is and how to use it, scale, compass rose, magnetic variation and more.
- Navigation: piloting, hand railing, backstops, deductive reckoning using time, speed and distance, aiming off
ranges, transits, lines of position, bisects, triangulation and more.
- On water exercises: hand and deck compass use, cockpit plotter use, where am I, what is that, bisects, triangulation
Required equipment and gear:
- Handheld compass [preferably folding type with mirror]
- Deck compass
- Chart # 3459 Approaches to Nanoose Harbour
- Chart case with carabiners attached
- Cockpit plotter with small string installed thru centre
- kayak wheels if you have them [ launch is about 300 meters down a gravel path ]
The above items could be shared between 2 people, but it’s always best to have your own. Contact me if you have a problem sourcing these items.
Some places to look: Valhalla Pure Outfitters, Harbour Chandler, Pacific Net and Twine, Beachcomber marina, Independent Shipwrights, MEC, Comox Valley Kayaks
****PRIOR TO CLINIC YOU MUST HAVE YOUR CHART PREPARED WITH MAGNETIC LINES AND FOLDED INTO YOUR CHART CASE. I HAVE INCLUDED LINKS ON THE WEBSITE TO WATCH 2 INSTRUCTIONAL YOUTUBE VIDEOS FOR THIS.****
- Drysuit or wetsuit.
- Neoprene hat.
- Neoprene gloves.
*Limited supply of equipment and gear available for rent at reasonable rates.